VGN Small Awards
If you are interested in applying for a Small Award, contact the Baccalaureate Partner Institution (BPI) Coordinator to discuss your proposal submission. All Small Award applications must be submitted to the VGN email address (email@example.com) by the BPI Coordinator. There is a rolling application deadline for this funding mechanism.
Small Awards are for up to $5,000 to support NIH-fundable activities.
This funding mechanism is highly flexible in order to support the researcher’s competitiveness for extramural funding. Examples of past awards include:
- Faculty salary for course releases*
- Supplies and small equipment
- Undergraduate student research wages
- Student travel to an international conference
* Any additional funds needed for the course release comes from the BPI.
It is possible to bundle two Small Awards for course release support up to $10,000. If two Small Awards are bundled for this purpose, the faculty member must receive release time for two courses. Only one application and outcomes report are required in this instance.
Full-time tenure track faculty members from our BPIs whose research is of interest and fundable by the NIH are eligible. While priority will be given to early career faculty, faculty members who have graduated from the VGN program are eligible to apply.
All submissions must be on PHS 398 forms and include a signature from the appropriate institutional official. The following pages can be downloaded from this site: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/phs398.html. The only exception is the Face Page, for which the following provided document should be used. Please note that all dates in the application must be identical.
- Face Page [Download]
- Note that an entry for the “NIH Center or Institute (C/I) for the Research” and “Name of Program Officer and the NIH C/I or NSF Program” fields is required.
- Dates cannot be backdated to before the activities on the Award begin
- Research Plan (not to exceed 2 pages)
- Project Summary: concise statement for use of the funds
- Research Strategy with Specific Aim(s)
- If salary is requested, applicant must include fringe, as appropriate
- If salary is requested, applicant must include Facilities and Administrative (F&A) costs, as appropriate
- Budget Justification
- If salary is requested, applicant must include fringe justification, as appropriate
- If salary is requested, applicant must include Facilities and Administrative (F&A) costs justification, as appropriate
- Document which courses or other duties are released for one or two Small Awards
- IRB documentation (if applicable)
- IRB approval letter
- Protecting Human Research Participants
- PHS Inclusion Enrollment Report
- Human Subjects Education Certification
- IACUC documentation (if applicable)
- IACUC approval letter
- Vertebrate Animals Section
Award funds must be expended by May 31, 2018.
Required attendance at the following events:
- VGN Networking and Professional Development Seminar (Spring 2018)
- VGN Career Day in Burlington, VT for students on April 11, 2018
- VGN Faculty Retreat in Burlington, VT on August 15, 2018
Required completion of the following:
- A report on the outcomes of the use of funds due on June 30, 2018
- Provide contact information and participate in annual and long term career tracking
If the Small Award funds are used to support an undergraduate student, the student will be expected to:
- Present a poster at the VGN Career Day in Burlington, VT on April 11, 2018
- Provide contact information and participate in annual and long-term career tracking